Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dead Dinghy Motor


I hate outboard motors with a passion. I would prefer a good rowing dinghy and a quality pair of oars since all outboard motor are temperamental and unreliable. However if I am going cruising with my mate, a stable inflatable dinghy and powerful outboard are requirements! So three years ago I bought a brand new 8 HP Yamaha two cycle outboard for our new rigid inflatable. This outboard has a great reputation for reliability, but all outboards turn ornery after a while.

So ours has refused to start at the most inconvenient times for the last week or so. I have cleaned the carburetor about 4 times and changed the spark plugs twice to no avail. Finally I called on a professional who immediately told me I simply needed a new fuel pump. Tomorrow we'll see!

In the Photo I am being towed back to the boat by our neighbors David and Jill. All our neighbors have been terrific during this trying period.

No comments: