Friday, February 25, 2011

Lignumvitae Key Again





Yesterday was very nice! We had a relaxing breakfast enjoying the beautiful Keys scenery. Then we took our dinghy into the state park. Your first view as you step off the dock is the Matheson Home which is now a museum of artifacts from early days on the island. As I mentioned yesterday the key is now a Florida State Botanical Garden. We were planning on taking a guided tour but were disappointed to learn that the tours only happen when a private ferry runs over from Islamorada and now they only run Fri, Sat, Sunday. The photos are of the grounds of the Matheson Home and a Lignumvitae Tree.

We returned to our boat and enjoyed a very nice afternoon swimming off the boat and reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks pretty cool Grandpa. I wish I was there with you.

Nate

Tracy Parson said...

I just happened across your pictures on google of Lignumvitae Key and noticed your sailboat with New Bern, NC on the stern. My wife and I left Lignumvitae Key September 2010. I was the resident ranger on the island from 2008-2010 and my family and I are now living in.....New Bern! I hope you enjoyed everything about the island during your visits! It was quite the experience for us!!

Former Park Ranger,
Tracy Parson