Sunday, August 21, 2011

New Bern, North Carolina

We have been home since Tuesday and the weather was actually pretty good until today when the oppressive humidity settled in once again. Yesterday I rode my second century (100 miles) with four terrific fellow bikers and friends. Mark organized the ride and returned me to my car with 100.12 miles on the odometer.


This is a pretty good feat. As anyone who has ever ridden a Century knows, you generally want to have it end soon after you reach the goal. I felt pretty good for most of the ride and had enough reserve left for a sprint at mile 96. But I now think maybe I didn't drink enough during the ride. At the Union Point rest stop, (Mile 65) Cassandra challenged the amount of water I had consumed. She had just finished four liters and I really didn't know how much I had consumed because I had not kept track. I did drink one large bottle of Gator Aid on the way home lots of water once I got home, but I think I was severely dehydrated. After dinner I suffered excruciating leg cramps and almost passed out when I got up to get the tonic water.

But I did recover, had a terrific night's sleep and awoke feeling better and more refreshed than I can remember. Unfortunately I was also very hungry and spoiled it all by fixing a large bacon and eggs breakfast. It sat in like lead!

No comments: