Thursday, July 28, 2011

Webster NY



We left Limekiln Lake in the ADK on Sunday morning and headed east for Webster, NY near Rochester. It was a beautiful day and the weather has been cool crisp since we got here. We're staying with our friend and former neighbor Nancy and having a great visit.

I have been diligent with the biking, going out every day. The riding here is just the best. Great roads with good shoulders, low traffic and cool - low humidity days. Riding along the shore of Lake Ontario is some of the best biking anywhere and I see lots of riders out there. The receding glacier that created the Finger Lakes also scoured out a number of hill like features known as Drumlins along the south shore of the lake. These rolling hills (depicted in the drawing from Wikipedia) provide great training for the type of riding I'll be doing in October when I participate in Cycle North Carolina's fall ride across the state. I did 52 miles yesterday riding from Webster to Sodus Point and back. I stopped in at our former yacht club on the way out and found some friends, Tony and Jean, headed out to Fairhaven by boat. They wanted me to come along with them, but I had to pass on what looked like some great sailing to stay with the program.

We are headed to Sodus Bay this weekend to stay on Nancy's boat there. It will be one last opportunity to dunk the Bay River Skiff in the water for a couple of days sailing.

No comments: